Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Feeling orrrffff. Sweating. Vagueness.

Baby B and I have been feeling a bit orffff this week. First he had the vomits and then he was grizzly and feverish for days.  I don't know if it's just the God-awful weather we're having but I've had a killer headache and been a bit feverish and shivery and bleugh in the tummy and the shrapnel in me knee from the war has been giving me gip too...no, wait, that's not me, I just channeled a returned serviceman for a minute there.

Anyway whatever it is we're a bit orff.  And the weather ain't helping.  Oh, the humidity.  I think it was 99% yesterday or the day before.  I know I'm a Queenslander born and bred but I have my father's metabolism and seriously I sweat even in the middle of winter.  Dad has an excuse, he's a Belfast boy and never really acclimatised but I have no reason apart from genetics I suppose.  You know how people in the Northern Hemisphere get SAD during their long winter (Seasonal Affective Disorder)? Well I get it during our summer.  I am finding it unbearable.  And breastfeeding a sweaty little feverish baby isn't pleasant either.

Sweaty baby is sweaty.
I couldn't be bovvered cooking last night so M kindly went out and got Japanese takeaway which smelt delicious. I had a few bites AND COULDN'T EAT ANY MORE! I know.  What is going on? Maybe there is something to be said for weather so humid it saps you of your appetite.  Fingers crossed it is reflected in the ole scales!  I drank some of this with ice instead.

Good old Bickford's cord-u-gal.
This is M's preferred tipple. He was excited to find it again at Woolies.  I like it too but not as much as the lime cordial.  IS THERE NO END TO THE INTERESTING DETAILS YOU ARE LEARNING ABOUT MY LIFE!!!???
I'm going to look back at these posts one day and think "Oh cheer up you little whinging git" but oh well, better out than in, I say.

Anyway I think I almost have M convinced that air conditioning needs to happen, even if it might not be until next year in March to get a better deal. Baby steps, people.  Look, I know that back in the day no-one had it and they survived and it's bad for the environment and uses energy but I don't care I WANT IT!!!!!! WANT IT NOW!!!!  I'm supposed to embark on a jam making frenzy this week, I can't think of anything less likely to happen in this soupy weather.

Anyway I went to the shops yesterday to finish some xmas stuff and that was a blessed relief and surprisingly not too busy.  As compensation for having to sweat it out at home I purchased four new cotton sundresses.  I got them from that Crossroads place, they were dead cheap.  Of course what I really wanted was something from that nice Tree of Life shop but they were a bit more expensive, so I did what I always do and bought twenty billion cheaper crappier items that I don't like as much instead of just buying the one better quality item that I love. Dur.  Having said that they are quite nice and very cool.  Although the two on the right are a bit short. Is it just me or are ALL the dresses in the shops super short?  Does no-one have any SHAME any more?  Harlots and strumpets, everywhere I look.



I also added to the day yesterday by foolishly ringing up about a job application I was unsuccessful in, to get some "feedback".  I like my current job apart from the whole being made redundant on mat leave and getting put back on a contract, but it's a long commute and I am starting to panic about it so I'd applied for something closer to home.  The conversation with the woman was kind of like this.

Panel chair: Yes, you didn't score well on the criteria at all.
Me: Oh?
Panel chair: Yours was really very long, and you didn't use any practical examples.
Me: Oh.
Panel chair: And I remember quite clearly that your application had obviously been used for another job and you had left a whole lot of information on it from the other job, or you'd attached the wrong document or something.
Me: Oh.
Panel chair: There were lots and lots of excellent applicants who had LOTS of experience and actually ADDRESSED THE CRITERIA CORRECTLY.
Me: Oh. I see.
Panel chair: I see that you have a young baby.
Me: Yes.
Panel chair: And you were probably distracted.
Me: Probably.
Panel chair: But don't let this DISCOURAGE you!
Me: No.  Ok thank you for your time. {Hangs up, runs sobbing to bedroom and cries into pillow}.

Oh I've been such a cocky shit about this sort of thing in the past, how the mighty have fallen.  I think I just need to count my blessings and hope my brain comes back to normal in time for return to work on 7 January.

So, ever had a job application embarrassment? What's YOUR favourite cordial?  Does your body create its own tropical micro-climate wherever you go like mine does?

19 comments:

  1. My whole career has been a job application embarrassment. Now I'm helping out Dadabulous with his business. I just have to keep the boss happy (snigger, snigger).
    As for strumpets and harlots everywhere - even Mumabulous is wearing the short shorts. What the world needs now is cellulite, jiggley cellulite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wears short shorts? Na na na na na na na...Mumabulous wears short shorts!

      Delete
  2. dude. you NEED air conditioning. I am a greenie leftist on a budget too but nobody can continue their important work of making the world a better place if they're DYING in QLD heat with no AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I mean, the globe is warming, children are being blown up in Syria and I HAVE NO AIRCON! It's a travesty.

      Delete
  3. So, its been 3 years since I had my baby and my brain is still fried. At least, that's the excuse I use for a lot of the dumb stuff I do.
    I wore a dress to work yesterday and was conscious of its length the entire day. It wasn't even that short compared to "what the young ones wear these days"!!
    As for cordial, good ol' lemon for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short dresses thing baffles me! I hope the ole brain kicks into gear ASAP, I'm getting worried.

      Delete
  4. You live in Qld. Having air conditioning surely isn't up for debate, is it?

    I too suffer from the dreaded Summer Sweats. I hate this time of year with a passion. Commiserations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is rough on us sweaty types. I feel quite gloomy.

      Delete
  5. Are you making jam for pwessents? (A. Randa)
    Perhaps that wasn't the most appropriate element of your screed to comment on. I am sorry about the job interview woman. Sounds harsh. Can you sue her for her presumptuousness and prejudicial attitude to you as a working mum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes making jam for pwessies. Will do it tomoz. Yes she was blunt. I remember mum saying back in the day she sent a uni assignment in, late, fastened together with a nappy pin because she.couldn't find a stapler, and the good old 70s feminist lecturer gave her top marks because anyone doing it with a baby deserved it. How times have changed.

      Delete
  6. I remember a job interview when I was fresh out of school - typing test (the position was for a junior typist). I really could not type well, let alone on a golf ball typewriter. (I had only ever used a manual one.) At one stage the head lady who was conducting the interview came out and plonked a wheel typewriter eraser on the machine and said "This will give you confidence!" It sure did - I got such a run up I typed straight off the end of the page! And got lipstick all over it. Apparently Miss Head Lady went into the Partners and said "This girl can't type, but we can teach her." So I got the job!
    By the way, air con is a no brainer. Just get it.
    I am a Bickfords Lime Cordial girl, with Brandy, fresh lime and soda, of course.
    Glad you didn't get the job - I would miss you. Looking forward to you coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay you! Yes I'm looking forward to seeing all the old faces. And the young ones. Hehe.

      Delete
  7. I'm from Belfast too!!! ( the Irish one - is there an Australian one?) I could not endure that kind of heat or humidity,but at least you got some cute dresses.( Tart!!) Job interviews? I once applied to the civil service and they asked me if I'd ever considered working on the radio. So, yes - a face for radio, what a confidence booster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There probably is an Australian one but dad is from Northern Ireland! Maybe we are related Sulky. Our family still live there. He went to BRA and Queens university. Do still live there?

      Delete
    2. I left when I was in my twenties and I am a Queens girl! My family still live there as well.Does your dad still have the accent? What a co-incidence! Ask him if he frequented the Egg or Lavery's. Oh Jesus, are you my child??? Ha!

      Delete
    3. Or the Bot? Can you tell I didn't spend much (any!) time in the library?

      Delete
    4. I think he went to the Bot, I've even been there, with my cousin! Dad was a rugby player so went wherever rugby types went. But he also spent lots of time in the library, he was a studious fellow. So he tells me anyway. He still has an accent even though he came here like 35 years ago, it has mutated a bit but still pretty strong. Coincidence!

      Delete
    5. I hate to be the one to break it to you...but your dear papa is a....LIAR! A studious rugby player??!! Talk about an oxymoron! Come on!! Ha! Ahem, actually, now I come to think of it there was a legendary, (mythical creature) rugby lovin' student who had an allergy to alcohol and spent all of his time in the library while he deliberated over becoming a priest or a saint. Must have been your dad, for sure. Maybe standards had dropped (plummeted) by the time I matriculated.Ha!

      Delete
    6. hahaha! I don't think that mythical creature was he. He once told me this story that when they were on a rugby tour in England, after a night in the town they stole a huge flashing roadworks sign and put it in the room of an unconscious team mate.

      Delete

Vent your spleen! You know you want to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...