Sunday, October 21, 2012

Alan Partridge. Lunch. School memories.

Pretty sure I've got a broken toe.  I was negotiating the piles of toys and crap on the floor yesterday and kicked the hell out of it on the coffee table.  I tried to pretend it was ok until I awoke last night in a cold sweat.  Oh the pain, the pain of it all.

Today it has become an angry purpley blue colour and is alternately numb and painful.  I tried to take a photo of it for the blog but was frightened by the similarity between my foot and a close up of the gnarled talons of, say, a hobbit or other such hirsute creature.  My feet do not stand up to close scrutiny at the best of times, let alone when they are exhibiting a hideous purple swollen toe.

We had plans to have my old school friends D and L and their kidlets round for lunch so I soldiered on, even though I was possibly in danger of comporting myself a little like Alan Partridge did after he impaled his foot on a fence immediately prior to giving a keynote speech at the Dantes Fireplace sales conference.




Anyway I pulled myself together and we had a wonderful time.


Baby B and Baby O getting to know each other.  We successfully negotiated a suitable bride price from her parents.  I think several goats and a decent number of shekels should do it.
The children played quietly together, and after lunch we encouraged them to practice their piano scales and arpeggios, before we joined them in a singalong of rollicking showtunes.*

L, D and I reminisced about school (hi guys!).  D remembered how I dobbed on him for throwing water balloons at us, and I gently reminded him of all the good-natured ribbing he and his chum gave me in music class, mainly about my teacher Dad's crazy old blue Volvo, but also for making a teenage feminist statement by letting my armpits go free range.  Oh, the memories.  How is it that we are so old and brittle of bone now?

Anyway it was really a fabulous day, and I exercised my characteristic restraint by scoffing huge quantities of the delicious cheesecake L made.  It was delightful.

If it doesn't rain soon I don't know what's going to happen to the garden.  Rain, damn you, rain!  We've planted a whole lot of new things and if they cark it I will not be impressed.


Hello you Nasty Urchin you.

Lavender, with added rogue weed-type grass infesting it.  Die, you awful weed!


*Not an accurate representation of events.  See previous blog entries for explanation.  The square nanny may have been involved.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I hope the toe heals soon. I often trip over toys... the noisy clanky kind, especially when everyone in the house is fast asleep. Speaking of sleep, my 17 month old slept through the night for the FIRST! TIME! EVER! last night. Such a shame that my three year old, who has been sleeping through the night for years and years and years, decided not to last night. Is it a conspiracy?!?

    By the way, sorry I didn't comment on your last post. I was buried under a pile of laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Silk Slippers, hooray for the 17 month old! P is not a good sleeper, i feel your pain utterly. Toe somewhat better, still looks awful though. Fingers crossed for a good night tonight too!!

      Delete

Vent your spleen! You know you want to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...